BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND IMVU Layouts »

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Towanda!

The Actresses of
Fried Green Tomatoes
L to R: Mary Louise Parker,
Mary Stewart Masterson,
Kathy Bates and the late Jessica Tandy.
If you’ve spent any time at all in the South, you support GLBT affairs, live in or around Juliette, Georgia, read Fannie Flagg or for that matter watch movies, then you are probably quite familiar with the term – Towanda! Who knew one screwball word like that could become the battle cry for the fearless.

Well friends, I say to you, “Towanda!”

"I hear they've got an assertive training class for southern women. Of course that's a contradiction in terms." - Missy in Fried Green Tomatoes

The amazing and talented Pam Asberry and I launched WritersLi.P.P. this week (This is meant to be your introduction to my half of the partnership. Oh boy!). To that I say, “Towanda!”

I’m 39 years old and more aware of who I am and what I want out of life than I EVER have been. “Towanda!”

I’m in the middle of a divorce, raising a three year old, and made the decision to risk a lot in order to ensure she gets through this transition with her mom close by. “Towanda!”

There are many passions in my life not the least of which is writing. I am a writer and reader, chef and gardener, painter and singer, and have proven to be a really big flirt who embraces her sexuality. “Towanda!”

"I can't even look at my own vagina!" - Evelyn Couch (Kathy Bates)

To me it doesn’t matter what you believe or how strongly you believe it. If your opinion differs from mine, I will welcome yours with open arms and respect you for offering it. The best part is that I will still love and admire you and happily coexist despite our differences. “Towanda!”

The South is my home. I was born in Macon, Georgia and have lived from Macon to Decatur and many places in between and beyond. I have the right to take my place as a Daughter of the Confederacy because my “greats” fought in a war a long time ago that I had nothing to do with. I might not approve but I embrace my history. “Towanda!”

I have friends who range in age from twenty-six to ninety-six and in nationality from American mutt to Canadian to Persian – I love each of them equally. “Towanda!”

This laundry list might be off-putting to some. I’m okay with that. I’m not looking for anyone’s approval. My dream is to get to know you and be part of how you embrace who you’ve become and stand with you with sledge-hammer in hand as you yell at the top of your breathless lungs, “Towanda!”

Enough about me; join the conversation. What inspires you to yell “Towanda”? What would hold you back? What draws you into a blog about love and life written by two writers?

Thanks to Fanny Flagg and Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café for such an amazing story and the fearlessness that should inspire us all.

"It's all right, honey. Let her go. Let her go. You know, Miss Ruth was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave." - Sipsey (Cicely Tyson)

10 comments:

Pam Asberry said...

Love love love your inaugural post, Lindy! You are an amazing woman, and I am proud to be your friend, critique partner, and blogging buddy. :-) What makes me yell "Towanda!"? One of my children experiencing success. A hot pair of shoes. Overcoming an obstacle. What might stop me? NOTHING. TOWANDA!!

Lindy said...

Ha! Now that's the can do attitude I love you for. Thanks Pam. Towanda to you too!

Megan said...

Fantastic post, Lindy, OF COURSE! As for me, I'm a hard core New England Yankee making my home in the South and embracing it (even while I still consider the rocky beaches of the Northeast the home of my heart). TOWANDA! Like you, I love connecting with people who think differently, feel differently, look and act differently than I do. I love the fact that people simply are different, and I embrace and cherish those differences. But I'm still going to stubbornly be myself. TOWANDA! Love you guys.

Julee J. Adams said...

Pam, honey, you're from the south too, you're from Southern Illinois! That's from one of my mama's friends, Edna Culbreth, who I thought was nearly as fierce as my mama. She published a book of poetry in the '70s, which was totally cool.
Lindy, here's saluting you and Pam in all of your endeavors. Keep striding down that road of life in the fanciest shoes you can find.

Lindy said...

Megan, my sister, be you from the north or the south, it is our differences and frightening similarities that make us so. Towanda!

Lindy said...

Julee, thanks so mcuh for your comment and we will keep boldly striding down that road in dangerously high, yet suprisingly comfortable shoes! Towanda!

Abhishek said...

You really can impress everyone with your introduction!! Awesome one!!

Lot of feathers in your cap!! Reader - Writer - Chef - Gardener - .....

with warm regards
Another Author

KendallGrey said...

I've never heard "Towanda!" before, but I LIKE IT! Hahaha! I'm a big believer in speaking your mind and not being afraid to stand out. Good on you and Pam for creating this blog. I can tell it's going to be loads of fun!

WritersLiPP said...

Thanks Another Author for that warm comment. Towanda! And thanks for the follow! - Lindy

WritersLiPP said...

Thanks Kendall. Welcome aboard. I hope we keep the boat rockin' and you keep comin' back! Happy writing! - Lindy