BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND IMVU Layouts »

Monday, September 5, 2011

Pam's (Almost) Famous Whole Wheat Bread

This week's topic is The Best Thing These LiPPs Ever Tasted, and my recipe for basic whole wheat bread has undoubtedly been my most-requested over the years. I make fresh flour using my Whisper Mill grain grinder and a heavy-duty mixer, but friends have had success using good quality whole wheat flour from the grocery store and kneading by hand. Here goes.


Pam's (Almost) Famous Whole Wheat Bread

Hand Method:

1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup oil
2 ½ cups warm water
1 ½ tablespoons yeast
2 ½ teaspoons salt
6-7 cups whole wheat flour (preferably fresh-milled)

Large Mixer Method:

2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup oil
6 cups warm water
3 tablespoons yeast
1 ½-2 tablespoons salt
16-20 cups whole wheat flour (preferably fresh-milled)

Combine the warm water, yeast and 2 cups whole wheat flour in a large mixing bowl; allow to sponge for 15 minutes. Add the honey, oil, salt and 4-5 cups (12-16 cups for mixer method) additional flour until the dough begins to clean the sides of the mixing bowl. Do not allow the dough to get too dry; it should be smooth and elastic. Knead the bread by hand 7-10 minutes or until it is very smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size. Punch dough down, form into two loaves (five loaves for mixer method) and place into greased pans. Let rise again until double. Bake 25-30 minute in preheated 350-degree oven. Bread is done when the sides are golden brown and it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove from pans and brush with melted butter for a softer crust, if desired.

Wholesome and delicious - perfect for the cool fall days ahead!

Author: Pam Asberry
Website: http://pamasberry.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/pamasberryfanpage
Twitter: http://twitter.com/pamasberry

14 comments:

Megan said...

What a great recipe! And I love that you have a version here for just hands, no mixer (this is what I need). If any stores are open today, I'm going to make this. I can't wait to fill my house with the smell of fresh baking, whole wheat bread. Thanks, Pam!

Pam Asberry said...

Yay, Megan! Sometimes I make the two-loaf version just because I love the feel of the dough in my hands, although the big mixer method works great. Let me know how it goes!

Julee J. Adams said...

Totally yummy, but I'm honked off that I can't have bread for the next couple of months on my diet! If I say you're being cruel, you know I'm joking, right?

Wonder how this would do baked as rolls? Hmmmmm

Saving for Thanksgiving! I'd probably eat the whole loaf....

WritersLiPP said...

It is officially printed and added to my recipe collection! I currently have Fresh Peach Pound Cakes in the oven. I just might be sharing that one on Wednesday. Hehehehehe. Thanks Pam. - Lindy

Pam Asberry said...

This is a great basic bread dough, Julee; it makes wonderful dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls, too. Just divide the two-loaf recipe in half, roll out jelly roll style, spread with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (and pecans or raisins if it turns your crank), slice into approximately 8 rolls per loaf, allow to rise again, and bake. Frosted with a simple powdered sugar icing these are HEAVEN. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Fresh peach pound cakes? That sounds yummy, too! Let me know if you try my recipe, Lindy!

KendallGrey said...

Ooh, I LOVE wheat bread and homemade sounds amazing. Copying this recipe down. You guys always have the best recipes!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kendall. This recipe is foolproof. I should have mentioned that I use SAF brand yeast as I feel it gives the dough the best rise. We loves to eat, so we loves to cook - and bake!

Bryonna Nobles said...

Oh wow, that bread turned out beautifully. So nice and shiny. I've never really done bread from scratch before. Rather intimidating but I'm going to jot down your recipe and give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

But yours just looks so... well beautiful! Perfect coloring and you just want a slice just from seeing the pictures.

Tami Brothers said...

Too fun! Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Pam Asberry said...

It's the melted butter that makes it shiny, Bryonna. Let me know if you decide to give it a try. Unless you have access to fresh-milled flour, you might use half whole wheat and half white for your first attempt; you will get a better rise that way. I look forward to hearing about your experience!

Pam Asberry said...

Tami, it is the best whole wheat bread ever. People have even been known to buy it from me. It's that good!

Unknown said...

Anytime you want to bake, I'll be happy to come and eat. Just let me know.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Denise. I'll keep that in mind! :-)